Fake deals land man in jail

Fadley Faisal

The Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday sent a local man to serve one year in jail, after he pleaded guilty to duping people on the pretext of buying their mobile phones.

Muhammad Aqil Mahaputra bin Mohamad, 26, contacted a 21-year-old man on February 2, expressing interest in buying the victim’s mobile phone which the defendant saw posted for sale on Facebook.

The two met at a bus stand in Berakas that same day, where the mobile phone was handed to the defendant. He sent a screenshot of a fake bank online payment to the victim amounting to BND470.

The victim repeatedly sought clarification when he did not find the amount promised in his bank account, but the defendant denied the accusation.

The victim grew exasperated and filed a police report.

Meanwhile, the defendant sold the mobile phone to another person for BND180.

On February 9, the defendant contacted a 21-year-old woman about buying the mobile phone she posted on Facebook.

They met at a car park in Kampong Tanjung Bunut the same day, where the transaction was made.

The victim handed her phone and the defendant sent her a screenshot of a fake bank online payment amounting to BND365.

When she realised that the amount was not paid to her account, the victim questioned the defendant only to be told otherwise.

The victim filed a police report the same day.

The defendant later went to Subok after striking a deal with a 26-year-old man, with whom he swapped phones. He received an additional BND160 in the deal for handing over the female victim’s phone to the other person.

Following this, the defendant was arrested by the police. Subsequent investigations found that the defendant used a mobile phone application to fake the bank online payment screenshots.

The police recovered the mobile phones.

The facts were revealed in court by Prosecutor Hajah ‘Adzimah Mukarramah binti Haji Salleh.

The court ordered the defendant to compensate BND180 to the buyer in the first instance, and BND160 to the man in the swap deal.

The defendant would have to serve an additional month’s jail for failing to compensate both victims.

Senior Magistrate Hajah Azrimah binti Haji Abdul Rahman presided over the case.