Defence trial in Kim Jong-nam murder case to begin on March 11

SHAH ALAM  (Bernama) – The High Court yesterday set 24 days beginning March 11 for the two foreign women accused of murdering  Kim Chol or Kim Jong-nam, the estranged half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, to enter their defence.

Judge Datuk Azmi Ariffin set the dates in chambers after meeting the prosecution and defence when the case came up for mention yesterday.

Indonesian Siti Aisyah and Vietnamese Doan Thi Huong were charged with four others still at large with the murder of Kim Chol, 45, at the klia2 departure hall at 9 am on February 13, 2017.

They face the mandatory death sentence un-der Section 302 of the Penal Code, if found guilty.

Met by reporters later, lawyer Gooi Soon Seng, representing Siti Aishah, 26, said the court also set  July 29, 30 and 31 for the prosecution and defence to submit their written submission.

Meanwhile, lawyer Hisyam Teh Poh Teik, representing Doan Thi Huong, 29, said he would call five or six witnesses, including foreigners.

“Doan  will testify from the dock for a week from March 11, while Siti Aisyah on May 27,” he added.

On August 16 last year, the High Court ordered Siti Aisyah and Doan to enter their defence on a charge of murdering Kim Chol.

Last Thursday, the prosecution was ordered to supply the cautioned statements made by witnesses to the defence.