COVID-19 updates in Brunei – March 30

 


Highlights from today’s press conference 

Here are highlights from today’s press conference at the Ministry of Health (MoH) with the Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Jaafar; Minister of Religious Affairs Pehin Udana Khatib Dato Paduka Seri Setia Ustaz Hj Awg Badaruddin bin Pengarah Dato Paduka Hj Awang Othman and Minister at The Prime Minister’s Office and Minister of Finance and Economy II Dato Seri Setia Dr Awang Haji Mohd Amin Liew Abdullah.

(From L-R) Minister of Religious Affairs, Minister of Health and Minister at The Prime Minister’s Office and Minister of Finance and Economy II at the press conference held at the Al-Afiah Hall of the Ministry of Health today. (PHOTO: BAHIYAH BAKIR)

 

  • The Ministry of Health confirmed 1 new positive COVID-19 case in the country today, bringing the total number of cases to 127.
  • Case 127, aged 3 years old is the son of Case 120. He does not have travel history and started developing symptoms (fever) on March 21.
  • 4 more cases treated at the National Isolation Centre have recovered and allowed to return home, bringing total number of people recovered to 38.
  • Three patients are in critical condition, requiring ventilator support while one patient requires intensive care. The rest are in a stable condition.
  • As of today, as many as 829 individuals are undergoing quarantine according to the Infectious Diseases Act (Chapter 204) and a total of 1389 have completed the quarantine period and are in good health.
  • Since the emergence of COVID-19 in early January 2020, a total of 5980 laboratory tests for COVID-19 have been conducted.

Four positive COVID-19 patients from Brunei return from Malaysia 

Four out of the nine individuals in Malaysia who attended the tabligh congregration in Kuala Lumpur have returned to Brunei on March 29. All four of them were tested positive with COVID-19 and have received treatment at the hospitals in Kuala Lumpur. The Ministry of Health said they will continue to monitor their health to ensure that they remain in good health, based on their respective risk assessments.

City Hall health official prepare to spray disinfectant outside a mosque due to the outbreak of the new coronavirus during the movement control order in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on Saturday. (PHOTO: AP)

Patient who was allegedly missing now in NIC

Regarding the viral message on the search for a contact for one of the COVID-19 positive Case, the Minister of Health said that the Case has been admitted to the National Isolation Center (NIC) for treatment since March 28. However, to assist further investigation on this case, the MoH asks those who have had contact with the Case from March 10 to 15 to call 2380665 or 8163065 (during office hours only). In addition, public cooperation and consideration is also requested to stop the spread of the message in order to maintain the privacy of the patient.


BND450 million stimulus package to cushion out economic impact

Minister at The Prime Minister’s Office and Minister of Finance and Economy II today laid out an additional economic stimulus package of BND250 million in the form of bank loan and financing deferments and also charge waivers will into effect April 1 for all business sectors, on top of the fiscal assistance the government laid out last week. This brings the total amount to BND450 million, which includes fiscal assistance such as deferment of employees provident fund payment and employee capacity building initiatives.

Closure for all mosques, suraus and prayer halls extended

Mosques, suraus and prayer halls will continue to be closed for another week until April 6 as a precautionary measure to prevent the further spread of COVID-19, the Minister of Religious Affairs announced today.
Gates to the Ash-Shaliheen Mosque at Jalan Perdana Menteri is seen closed in this photo. (PHOTO: RAHWANI ZAHARI)

Another restaurant disregards MoH directives, court issues BND5,000 fine

Another restaurant owner was produced in the Magistrate’s Court today, for refusing to abide by the Ministry of Health (MoH)’s orders on the temporary closure of dine-in services.

Permanent resident Foon Swee Chung, 51, the owner of Kui Fook Restaurant in Mukim Kilanas, pleaded guilty to the charge under Section 62A(2) of the Infectious Diseases Act, Chapter 204, for failing to comply with the MoH directive issued on March 19, for dine-in services to be closed at all public facilities, including eating establishments.


 

Get more details and more news updates on Tuesday’s Borneo Bulletin.

For more COVID-19 updates in Brunei, follow live updates on Borneo Bulletin’s FacebookTwitter and Instagram pages. 

For advice on COVID-19, call the Health Advice Line at 148 or visit the Ministry of Health’s website.