COVID-19 updates; 2 new cases, close contacts of Case 139

Highlights from today’s press conference 

Here are highlights from today’s press conference at the Ministry of Health (MoH) with the Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Jaafar; Minister of Home Affairs Pehin Orang Kaya Seri Kerna Dato Seri Setia (Dr.) Haji Awang Abu Bakar bin Haji Apong and Minister at the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) and Minister of Finance and Economy II Dato Seri Setia Dr Awang Haji Mohd Amin Liew Abdullah.

The Minister of Health speaking at the daily COVID-19 press conference held at Al’-Afiah Hall of the Ministry of Health today. (PHOTO: Rahwani Zahari)

The Minister of Health confirms 2 new COVID-19 cases in Brunei today, linked to Case 139, a foreign worker, that was reported on Wednesday. The case was also detected from a nationwide surveillance on citizens and residents of Brunei. This brings the national tally to 141.

Preliminary investigations have shown that cases 139, 140 and 141 who are friends, were most likely to be infected with the virus in March 2020 and have stayed together in the same place. At this time, all three of them do not show any symtoms of the infection. Further investigation is still ongoing to identify the cause of the infection and to trace contacts of the cases. So far, a total of 59 contacts of the case have undergone COVID-19 tests where 20 of them have been tested negative and the rest are still waiting for their results.

Meanwhile, No new recoveries were reported today, maintaining the total number of discharged patients to 131. There are currently 9 active cases being treated at the National Isolation Centre (NIC) in Tutong.

  • Two patients remain in critical condition, with one of them requiring ventilator support. The rest of the patients are in a stable condition.
  • As of today, 157 individuals are undergoing quarantine according to the Infectious Diseases Act (Chapter 204) and a total of 2,551 have completed the quarantine period and are in good health.
  • Since the emergence of COVID-19 in early January 2020, a total of 14,938 laboratory tests for COVID-19 have been conducted.

 

No cause for alarm, stay vigilant

In light of the emergence of the new cases, the Minister of Health urged the public to not be alarmed or panic as evidence so far points out that it is a “small and limited” cluster. The minister during a Q&A session with the media also informed that the three new cases were found to be only traveling from work to home throughout most of the time, and almost all of their contacts have been identified.

However, the minister reiterated on the importance for the public to continue to be vigilant and take precautions by adopting and cultivating preventive measures. “It is especially recommended to continue physical distancing, not to go around in large crowds at any one place and to only leave the house when necessary. This is in addition to practicing personal hygiene such as regular hand washing and proper coughing and sneezing etiquette,” he said.


 

Tax relief for commercial property

The Minister of Home Affairs said that His Majesty The Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam has consented to the reduction of annual commercial property tax of up to 50 per cent to landlords giving rental discounts to business tenants this year, as part of an economic stimulus package that was announced by the Ministry of Finance and Economy earlier.

The Minister of Home Affairs speaking at the daily COVID-19 press conference held at Al’-Afiah Hall of the Ministry of Health today. (PHOTO: Rahwani Zahari)

 

BruHealth mobile app to be released soon

As Brunei prepares to slowly ease some of the restrictions imposed in public spaces and business premises amid the COVID-19 outbreak, the MoH today released two videos offering more information on the use of the contact tracing mobile application BruHealth for the public and BruHealth QR Code for businesses that will be available at the Google Play and Apple Playstore soon. ⁣

The app, that uses bluetooth technology allows the government to track potential carriers of COVID-19, prevent those vulnerable from spreading the virus and control the number of crowd in public spaces and business premises.

BruHealth mobile app

As Brunei prepares to slowly ease some of the restrictions imposed in public spaces and business premises amid the COVID-19 outbreak, the Ministry of Health today released two videos offering more information on the use of the contact tracing mobile application 📱 BruHealth for the public and BruHealth QR Code for businesses that will be available at the Google Play and Apple Playstore soon. ⁣⁣The app, that uses bluetooth technology allows the government to track potential carriers of COVID-19, prevent those vulnerable from spreading the virus and control the number of crowd in public spaces and business premises.

Dikirim oleh Borneo Bulletin pada Kamis, 07 Mei 2020

BruHealth QR Code for businesses

As Brunei prepares to slowly ease some of the restrictions imposed in public spaces and business premises amid the COVID-19 outbreak, @mohbrunei today released two videos offering more information on the use of the contact tracing mobile application 📱 BruHealth for the public and BruHealth QR Code for businesses that will be available at the Google Play and Apple Playstore soon. ⁣⁣The app, that uses bluetooth technology allows the government to track potential carriers of COVID-19, prevent those vulnerable from spreading the virus and control the number of crowd in public spaces and business premises.

Dikirim oleh Borneo Bulletin pada Kamis, 07 Mei 2020


Get more details and follow more news updates on Friday’s Borneo Bulletin

For more COVID-19 updates in Brunei, follow live updates on Borneo Bulletin’s FacebookTwitter and Instagram pages

For advice on COVID-19, call the Health Advice Line at 148 or visit the Ministry of Health’s website or go to www.healthinfo.gov.bn