BENI, CONGO (AP) — A second case and death of Ebola has been recorded in Congo’s North Kivu province, according to officials.
The victim was a 60-year-old woman who died on Wednesday in the health zone of Biena, according to Provincial Health Minister Nzanzu Syalita. He said she had been to the same health post as the first victim.
The Health Ministry said it has deployed authorities to the Biena and Katwa health zones to trace more than 100 contacts. Health officials had confirmed a case of Ebola last Sunday in another woman who was from the village of Biena and died in Butembo.
While the source of original contamination is still unknown, the first woman who died was the wife of an Ebola survivor, the government said on Sunday.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has said it isn’t unusual for sporadic cases to follow a major outbreak.
The announcement had come less than three months after Congo’s 11th outbreak in the western Equateur province officially ended in November.