Collapsed Sabah suspension bridge to be rebuilt

RANAU (BERNAMA) – The collapsed suspension bridge in Kampung Gusi would be rebuilt to reconnect the people there to the next village, said Sabah Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Dr Joachim Gunsalam.

Joachim said the 150-metre-long bridge was the villagers’ only means of communication to the other side of the river.

“Without the bridge, the economic and social activities of the villagers will be adversely affected. It will be very difficult for them to carry their agricultural produce apart from hampering the children in going to school,” he said in a statement yesterday.

On Saturday, Joachim visited the collapsed bridge in Kampung Gusi, about 80km from Ranau town, accompanied by Deputy Director of the Sabah Development Office Mohd Hamdani Sahari.

On November 23, two teenagers were injured after an 18-metre-high wooden suspension bridge they were using as an ‘Internet station’ collapsed about 9pm in the village.

The incident happened when a group of eight teenagers including three students of Ulu Sugut National Secondary School gathered at the bridge to gain proper access to the Internet. Two of them suffered injuries to their legs and spine after falling from the bridge.

One victim is still in Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Kota Kinabalu, undergoing treatment for a fracture.

Meanwhile, Joachim who is also Kundasang assemblyman, said the suspension bridge built 10 years ago, was in a dilapidated state.

He said the bridge had been repaired before, however, it did not last. Therefore, the bridge will be rebuilt soon.

“At the moment, the villagers have to cross the river by using small boats,” he added.