24.8 C
Brunei
Thursday, September 29, 2022
24.8 C
Brunei
Thursday, September 29, 2022
More
    - Advertisement -
    - Advertisement -

    Canadian manhunt ends with both suspects dead

    ROSTHERN, CANADA (AFP) – A days-long search for the second man suspected of carrying out a deadly stabbing spree in a remote western Canadian Indigenous community ended with the 32-year-old dying after being taken into custody, police said.

    Federal police Assistant Commissioner Rhonda Blackmore told a news conference that Myles Sanderson, suspected along with his brother of killing 10 people and wounding 18 last Sunday, “went into medical distress” shortly after being arrested in Saskatchewan province.

    She added that he was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead, but gave no other details of the circumstances.

    On Monday, his 31-year-old brother Damien Sanderson had been found dead in a grassy field in the Cree community.

    Authorities said he likely had been killed by his older sibling, who remained a fugitive until his arrest near the town of Rosthern in Saskatchewan – about 100 kilometres west of where the stabbings occurred.

    Blackmore said that with both brothers now dead, “we may never have an understanding of (their) motivation”.

    People gather at a vigil in honour of the victims of a mass stabbing incident at James Smith Cree Nation and Weldon, Saskatchewan. PHOTO: AP
    - Advertisement -
    spot_img

    Latest article

    - Advertisement -
    spot_img