Cambodia logs 157 new COVID-19 cases, three new deaths

PHNOM PENH (XINHUA) – Cambodia yesterday confirmed 157 new COVID-19 cases and three more fatalities in the last 24 hours, the country’s Ministry of Health (MoH) said in a statement.

The new infections included 156 local cases and one imported case.

The imported case was found on a 43-year-old Nigerian man arriving in the kingdom on Friday from Nigeria via a connecting flight in South Korea.

The statement said the new deceased patients included a 36-year-old man in Phnom Penh, a 48-year-old man in Kandal province and a 72-year-old woman in Svay Rieng province.

According to the MoH, since the start of the pandemic in January last year, the Southeast Asian country has officially registered a total of 4,238 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with 29 deaths and 2,152 recoveries.

In the latest move to curb the virus spread, the Phnom Penh Municipality halted dine-in services in all food stalls, restaurants, cafes and soft drink shops from April 11 to 24.

People watch boat races in the Tonle Sap river during the Water Festival in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. PHOTO: XINHUA