Brunei suffer second defeat after South Korea rout

|     Fadhil Yunus     |


BRUNEI Darussalam national under-18 team endured their second successive defeat at the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Under-19 Championship qualifiers following a comprehensive 11-0 defeat to South Korea at the Paju Public Stadium in Paju, South Korea yesterday.

The double-digit loss left them rooted at the bottom of Group ‘F’ in fifth place after two games behind Timor Leste due to an inferior goal difference.

South Korea’s forward Cho Young Wook netted a hat-trick while all of the substitutes got their names in the score-sheet.

The South Koreans opened the lead in the 10th minute after Cho Young Wook connected a delightful cross by Lee Sangjun with a textbook header with Brunei Darussalam under-18s goalkeeper Awangku Muhd Amirul Hakim bin Pengiran Zulkarnain rooted to the spot.

The Red Devils doubled their lead seven minutes later after captain Kim Jungmin prodded a high ball forward into the box and with Go Jaehyeon laying an excellent cutback into the centre, Kim Chan side-footed the ball home.

Brunei Darussalam’s Mohamad Adi Shukry (right) and South Korea’s Cho Young Wook in action during the AFC Under-19 Championship qualifiers match in Paju, South Korea. – AFC

South Korea defender Shin Jaeuk sent a low cross and after a team-mate has initially missed any touch to guide the ball past Amirul Hakim there was no denying Lee Sangjun who tapped the ball into the empty net.

The Red Devils stepped up a gear in the second half with Lim Jaehyuk easily skipping past a marker before rifling home past Awangku Muhd Amirul Hakim with a fine effort four minutes after the break.

The linkup between Sangjun and Young Wook worked wonders again after the latter powered home a superb header following another fine assist from the former.

The 18-year-old ripped apart the Bruneian defence with his close control before slotting home via a slight deflection off Brunei defender Muhd Nur Aiman to complete his hat-trick.

The tournament hosts were awarded a penalty by Iran referee Mooud Bonyadifard after Kim Chan was pinned down by a combination of Muhd Nur Aiman and Rahimin bin Abdul Ghani.

South Korea substitute Lee Kangin dispatched the penalty which had too much power for Awangku Muhd Amirul Hakim despite the goalkeeper guessing the right way.

His fellow substitute Jeong Hojin belted a screamer in the 75th minute leaving Awangku Muhd Amirul Hakim no chance to make it 8-0.

Hojin was allowed to run past the Bruneian defence before squaring the ball into the centre which Lee Sangjun directed the ball home albeit with the last touch coming off Brunei captain Muhd Wafi bin Aminuddin.

The impressive Lee Sangjun left Brunei substitute Muhammad Salleh Emzah chasing shadows before sending a cross with Lim Jaehyuk sliding in at the far post for his second goal of the game.

Brunei could not clear their lines enabling substitute Kim Hyunwoo to blast home from close range in the second minute of injury time.

The South Koreans had a chance to add one more goal at the death but Kim Chan contrived to head wide after an excellent delivery from a team-mate.

Brunei take on Malaysia tomorrow and Timor Leste in their last Group ‘F’ game next Wednesday.