Brunei sees record high deaths, new cases

James Kon

Brunei Darussalam recorded a new daily high in COVID-19 cases, adding 504 cases in the past 24 hours, and four new clusters containing 93 cases. This brings the total number of cases in the country to 10,860, Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Haji Jaafar said at the daily press conference yesterday.

Six COVID-19 cases death were also reported.

Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham said, “By the will of Allah the Almighty, the Ministry of Health (MoH) informs the public that six COVID-19 cases have returned to the grace and mercy of Allah the Almighty.

“Five of them, three men aged 49, 63 and 61, and two women aged 58 and 73, were confirmed dead due to COVID-19; while one woman aged 62 suffered from other health problems and is not categorised as death due to COVID-19.”

“On behalf of the MoH, as well as the people of Brunei, I convey my deepest condolences to their families. May their souls receive blessings from Allah the Almighty, and may they be placed among the pious,” said the minister.

There are 208 additional new cases to 30 of the existing active clusters who were previously close contacts with several positive cases.

Sharing details on the four new clusters, the minister said all of them are accommodation clusters, including three worker dormitories – Jalan Kota Batu Construction Cluster, Trentset Construction Sdn Bhd Cluster and Batu Apoi Construction Cluster.

Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Haji Jaafar. PHOTO: JAMES KON

The total number of active clusters is 170, he said.

Meanwhile, 203 new cases are still being investigated to determine the sources of infection.

“One hundred and ninety-five cases have recovered today, bringing the total number of recovered cases in the Sultanate to 8,045, whereas the total number of active cases is 2,741.

“Among the cases receiving treatment at the National Isolation Centre, seven cases are in Category 5 and are treated at the Intensive Care Unit.

“All require artificial ventilation assistance with two cases requiring the help of additional heart/lung machine (ECMO).

“Meanwhile, 29 cases are in Category 4 requiring oxygen assistance and are under close monitoring.

“In the past 24 hours, 5,657 samples were tested for the SARS-CoV-2 virus bringing the total number of laboratory tests conducted since January 2020 to 442,053,” the minister said.

Since the commencement of the Home Isolation Policy for COVID-19 patients on October 8, the minister revealed that 507 patients in Category 1 and Category 2a have undergone self-isolation at home.

The minister urged patients to comply with the directives of self-isolation and cooperated with the Ministry of Health when contacted.

“The monitoring of patients, such as through telephone calls, is for the ministry to ensure that patients are in stable condition and the symptoms of their infection do not worsen. Permission to undergo self-isolation at home will be revoked for anyone found not cooperating during the monitoring period and they will be taken to an isolation centre.”

Also in attendance was Permanent Secretary at the MoH Haji Maswadi bin Haji Mohsin.