Brunei Darussalam continues to record a low number of COVID-19 cases, with only two new confirmed cases yesterday, bringing the current total to 133 people.
The latest developments of the COVID-19 situation in the country were highlighted at a press conference yesterday by Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Haji Jaafar.
In giving details on the new cases, the minister said, “Case 132 is a 40-year-old woman, who is the wife of Case 103. She does not have any recent travel history, and was first tested on March 24, which came back as negative. However, she developed a sore throat and the flu while under quarantine, on March 30.
“Case 133 is a local man who flew back to the country from the United Kingdom via Singapore, on Royal Brunei Airlines (RB) flight BI424 with Seat 22A on April 1. He developed a fever on March 16, while in the United Kingdom; however, he did not exhibit any symptoms while en route back to the country.”
On therecovered cases, the minister said, “Alhamdulillah, by the grace of Allah the Almighty, today, four more cases treated at the National Isolation Centre made a recovery and were allowed to go home, bringing the total number of recovered patients so far to 56.
“This means that there are 76 cases still undergoing treatment at the National Isolation Centre. Of these, three are still in critical condition and in need of respiratory assistance in the Intensive Care Unit at the National Isolation Centre. One of them still requires the assistance of a heart-lung machine (ECMO). The rest are in stable condition.”
The minister also stated, “A total of 451 individuals are undergoing quarantine in accordance to the Infectious Diseases Act (Chapter 204).
“Meanwhile, 1,858 individuals have completed their quarantine and are in stable condition. Since early January 2020, 7,055 laboratory tests for COVID-19 have been conducted, leading to a ratio of one in 61 of the country’s residents having tested for COVID-19.”
According to healthinfo.gov.bn, the breakdown of cases by districts shows 106 in the Brunei-Muara District, 23 in the Belait District and four in the Tutong District. There are no cases in the Temburong District.
For information, visit the Ministry of Health’s (MoH) official website at www.moh.gov.bn. Alternatively or contact the MoH through the Health Advice Line at 148 (operating 24 hours) or via the web application at healthinfo.gov.bn.