GEORGE TOWN (Bernama) – A boy was found charred inside a container storing old furniture which caught fire in the playground in Kampong Jawa, Bayan Lepas yesterday.
Bayan Lepas Fire and Rescue Station Head Mohd Tarmizi Abdul Salam said the station received a call at 12.15pm and upon arrival at the location, fire on the container was already raging.
“Firemen were informed that a boy was trapped inside the container and the body of Muhammad Saifuddin Ali Subahan, eight, was found charred after we have put out the fire,” he told reporters at the scene yesterday.
Southwest District Police Chief Superintendant AA Anbalagan said based on initial investigations and the victim’s friend, the victim was found playing with a lighter inside the container before a fire broke out on a sofa in the container.
He said the friend managed to escape with his hair burnt but the victim was not so lucky, as the blaze spread very fast.
He said there were no criminal elements found so far and the case was classified as sudden death while further investigations were still being carried out.
The remains of the boy were sent to Penang Hospital for post-mortem.