EL-ARISH, Egypt (AP) — The Islamic State (IS) has blown up a roadside bomb in the restive northern Sinai peninsula, killing one member of Egypt’s security forces and wounding three others, medical and security officials said late on Thursday.
The explosion at dawn on Thursday was triggered by a remote-controlled device that targetted an armoured vehicle. It was carrying forces on a patrol mission along the Mediterranean coast of the town of Sheikh Zuweid, said the officials, who asked to remain anonymous because they were not authorised to brief the media.
The IS has posted a statement on a militant-affiliated website claiming responsibility for the attack.
Egypt has been battling an IS-led insurgency in the Sinai that intensified after the military overthrew the president in 2013. The militants have carried out scores of attacks, mainly targetting security forces and minority.
The conflict in Sinai has largely taken place out of public view, with journalists and outside observers barred from the area. The fighting has so far not expanded into the southern end of the peninsula, where popular Red Sea tourist resorts are located.