Blaze guts Jerudong bungalow

James Kon

Unattended cooking was believed to be the cause of a blaze that destroyed a bungalow at Simpang 381 in Kampong Jerudong on Monday.

The Fire and Rescue Department (FRD) received an emergency call at 3.02pm and dispatched 10 firefighters from Jerudong Fire Station.

Led by DSO Misli bin Haji Pungut, the blaze was contained within five minutes using three jet hoses and water from WRL 5 tank and a nearby fire hydrant. The damage to the house, owned by Zakaria bin Ibrahim, is estimated at BND10,000.

The FRD advised the public to ensure that electrical appliances are always monitored and electrical circuits are not overloaded.

It is recommended to equip the house with fire extinguishers, fire blanket or smoke detectors. Cooking should never be left unattended.

Contact the operation centre of Fire and Rescue at 995 to report emergencies.

Firefighters extinguish the blaze. PHOTO: FRD