Al Idrus SC survive penalty scare to reach President Cup 2 final

|     Fadhil Yunus     |

AL IDRUS SC team manager Haji Mansur bin Haji Mohd Yassin has admitted that PSJD gave them a tough time during their encounter in the last four of the President Cup 2 at the RBRC Field last Sunday.

Al Idrus eventually booked their place in the final after they survived another penalty shootout scare in the knock-out stage winning 5-4 after normal time had ended 1-1.

They also survived a penalty scare in the quarterfinals when they eliminated Cle’as FT.

“It was a tough game today (against PSJD) and a slight error from our part allowed them to score,” said Haji Mansur in a post-match interview.

The second Al Idrus team emulated the exploits of first team Al Idrus FC, who are safely through in the President Cup 1 final.

“We are following the footsteps of other team Al Idrus FT and for Al Idrus SC it is an achievement (reaching the final) that we have been hoping for.”

Al Idrus SC in a group photo. – AL IDRUS FB

Al Idrus took the lead after Md Noor Tanjung converted a 53rd minute penalty with PSJD getting a reply through Hairol Abdullah in the 74th minute.

After facing a tough opponent, Haji Mansur is hoping that his team is in the best preparation possible before they meet another strong opponent AH United for the title who he considers as boasting sufficient experience.

He shared plans of playing in friendly matches to fine-tune their game and also hoped that the players who are currently on the nursing table could recover in time for the final.

Asked on his plans against AH United, he said, “It will be the same as in the semi-final. AH United have many experienced players and for me I think it’s a 50-50.”

Commenting on the display, the team manager pointed out their lack of bite in attack while adding that the defence and the goalkeeping side of the team played well.

“We need to work on our midfield and attack,” continued Haji Mansur who are hoping his side can win their first-ever President Cup 2 title.

Meanwhile in the VFA Cup, holders XN FT edged TJ FT 2-1 to become the first team to book their place in the semi-finals.

TJ FT took a shock lead through Haji Rudy Yahya but two goals including a winner from Mohd Nadzrin Abdullah sent them through in the last four draw.