70 new COVID cases in Brunei

1 death not COVID related

A COVID-19 patient, a man aged 64 died of existing health ailments and the death was not categorised as COVID-19 related, according to the Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Hj Md Isham bin Hj Jaafar at a press conference on Wednesday.

Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Awang Haji Isham bin Haji Jaafar. BAHIYAH BAKIR

70 new COVID cases, three new clusters

Brunei Darussalam adds 70 new cases of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours, with three new clusters involving 26 cases. This brings the total number of COVID-19 cases to 14,771.

There are 18 additional new cases to 7 of the existing active clusters who were previously close contacts with several positive cases.

One of the new clusters is an accommodation cluster; another one is a worker dormitory while Pantai Jerudong Wet Market Cluster is public place cluster.

Six clusters (4524 Cluster, 7618 Cluster, 8308 Cluster, 9076 Cluster, 12021 Cluster and 12057 Cluster). have been closed following no new detected cases in the clusters for 28 days.

Therefore, the current total active clusters are 142 clusters.

Meanwhile, 26 new cases are still being investigated to determine the source of the infection.

48 cases have recovered today bringing the total number of recovered cases in Brunei Darussalam to 14,210 cases, whereas the total number active cases are 462 cases.

Among the cases being treated at this time, four cases are in Category 5 and currently treated at the Intensive Care Unit. All of them require assistance of artificial ventilation. Meanwhile, one other case is categorised in Category 4 that require oxygen assistance and are under close monitoring.

In the past 24 hours, a total of 3,872 samples have been tested for the SARS-CoV-2 virus which brings the total number of laboratory tests conducted since January 2020 to 596,498 tests.


Brunei will not enter Endemic Phase immediately: Minister

As Brunei Darussalam is fast reaching the target of 80 per cent of fully vaccinated population that will soon take the country to the Endemic Phase of the National COVID-19 Recovery Plan, the Minister of Health said that they are actively monitoring the pandemic situation in the country, as well as current developments abroad, before considering to move forward to the next phase of the plan.

File photo shows a Panaga School student receives his first dose; and a parent accompanying his children during the national vaccination programme at Indoor Stadium Vaccination Centre. FILE/BB

“As we all know, the Endemic Phase is scheduled to commence when the rate of the two-dose vaccination reaches 80%. The very encouraging response from the public has brought the country to a level close to 80% earlier than had been expected,” he said.

Given that the Transition Phase has been implemented less than a week ago, the health minister said that the COVID-19 Steering Committee needs more time to consider the implementation of the Endemic Phase, and also said that the public is advised to wait for
the announcement of the start of the implementation of the Endemic Phase.


 

More details on Thursday’s Borneo Bulletin

Full video of today’s Press Conference can be viewed on our Facebook or Instagram page.