ANN/THE STRAITS TIMES – About 60 residents were evacuated and one taken to hospital after a flat in a Tampines Housing Board, Singapore block caught fire yesterday morning.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said in a Facebook post yesterday that it was alerted to a fire at a second-storey HDB flat at Block 147 Tampines Avenue 5 at 8.10am.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze, which involved the contents of a bedroom, using a water jet and two compressed air foam backpacks.
One person was taken to Singapore General Hospital with smoke inhalation.
Preliminary investigation showed that the fire was of electrical origin, involving a portable air-conditioning unit that was inside the affected bedroom, SCDF said.
SCDF said that before it arrived, several members of the public had attempted to fight the fire using a hose reel.