SINGAPORE (CNA) – Thirty-eight community cases were among 49 new COVID-19 infections reported in Singapore as of noon yesterday, said the Ministry of Health (MOH).
Twenty of the new community cases reported yesterday are linked to previous infections, including 13 cases that were earlier placed in quarantine.
The remaining 18 community cases are currently unlinked, said the ministry in its preliminary daily update.
This is the highest number of community infections reported since April 14, 2020, when 40 community cases were reported. Singapore’s “circuit breaker” started on April 7, 2020 and lasted for nearly two months.
A total of 11 cases reported yesterday were imported and were placed on stay-home notice or isolated upon their arrival in Singapore.
Five are returning Singaporeans or permanent residents.
No new infections were reported in foreign workers’ dormitories.
Tighter restrictions to curb the spread of the coronavirus in the community kicked in yesterday and will last until June 13.
Under the Phase 2 (Heightened Alert) rules, group gatherings are capped at two, down from five previously. Households are allowed to receive only two distinct visitors a day. The previous limit was five.
Other measures that were introduced included a suspension of dining-in at food outlets, while working from home will again be the default for workplaces.
Health Minister Ong Ye Kung on Saturday said that family members who live together can go out as a group of more than two people for “essential activities”. These activities include going to school or attending medical appointments, he said.
Taxis and private-hire cars can carry only up to two passengers during this period, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) said yesterday.
The restriction does not apply to passengers from the same household. For example, a parent can travel with his or her two children if they live together, LTA said.
As of yesterday, Singapore has reported a total of 61,585 COVID-19 cases.