NEW DELHI (XINHUA) – At least 30 people were injured yesterday after a fire broke out inside a residential building in the eastern Indian state of Bihar, officials said.
The fire broke out in the Shahganj locality of Aurangabad district, about 94 kilometres south of Patna, the capital city of Bihar.
According to officials, an electric short circuit led to the massive fire, and triggered a gas cylinder blast.
“My wife was cooking for Chhath Puja (Hindu festival) at 2.30am. Suddenly a fire broke out in the building and engulfed it, following which we started running out and in the melee the cooking gas cylinder exploded, which injured us all, some 20 members of the family,” shopkeeper Anil Goswami told the media.
Following the fire, police and fire department officials rushed to the spot for the rescue.
Reports said seven police personnel and a few locals also sustained burns while trying to douse the fire.