An employee at The Centrepoint Hotel had a brush with death after he got scared and went into hiding when a fire broke out in the building. Fortunately, personnel from the Fire and Rescue Department (FRD) located him and brought him safely to the assembly point.
The fire started in the kitchen of the Seasons Restaurant. It spread to the chimney of the building prompting the restaurant manager to call the building’s security personnel for assistance. They reported to the Security Manager who instructed the control room personnel to get assistance from the FRD.
The fire alarm was sounded to get all evacuated from the building and head to the assembly point.
One of the company’s Fire Marshal tried to extinguish the fire while help was on the way.
Firefighters from the Beribi Fire Station arrived at the scene along with personnel from the Bandar Seri Begawan Central Police Station, the Traffic Control and Investigation Department (JSKLL) and the Royal Brunei Police Force (RBPF).
Also dispatched to the fire scene was a team of paramedics from the Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha (RIPAS) Hospital Emergency and Accident unit.
One of the restaurant’s cook fainted while another one had burns on her right arm.
This was a fire drill conducted by Abdul Razak Management in collaboration with the FRD, the RBPF and RIPAS Hospital.
Another drill will be held in December on a larger scale in preparation for the APEC meeting next year.