LONDON (AFP) – Manchester United’s first formal bid to bring Jadon Sancho (pic below) back to the Premier League worth up to EUR100 million has been rejected by Borussia Dortmund, Sky Sports reported late on Tuesday.
Sancho, 20, has been a long-term transfer target for United as they look to build on finishing third in the Premier League last season and reaching the semi-finals of the Europa League, FA Cup and League Cup.
The England international joined Dortmund from Manchester City for a reported GBP10 million three years ago, but has shone in the Bundesliga to become one of European football’s brightest talents.
“The offer was for an initial GBP73 million, rising to up to GBP91.3 million, which fell short of Dortmund’s GBP108 million valuation,” said a Sky report.
The German giants have insisted that Sancho will remain in the Bundesliga for another season after United failed to agree a deal by Dortmund’s deadline of August 10.
Sancho has started Dortmund’s opening three games of the campaign, but has not travelled with the squad for the clash with Bayern Munich in the German Super Cup due to a “respiratory infection”, the club said on Tuesday. Dortmund confirmed Sancho has tested negative for coronavirus.
The winger scored 20 goals and provided 20 assists in all competitions last season and Dortmund captain Marco Reus is looking forward to him staying for another season.
“We all were happy that he will be with us for one more year because he delivers assists and goals, so we get points,” Reus told Sky Germany.
“If he gets as big as (Lionel) Messi or (Cristiano) Ronaldo, we will see. He needs time, experience and it will be important how he manages the times when things don’t go so well. But he has the confidence and the quality.”
United have faced criticism from fans for not spending more in the transfer market as their Premier League rivals have strengthened.
Dutch international midfielder Donny Van de Beek, who arrived for GBP40 million from Ajax, is United’s only signing of the window so far.