Cristiano Ronaldo tests positive for COVID-19

PARIS (AP) – Cristiano Ronaldo (pic below) has become the latest international football star to test positive for the coronavirus.

The Portuguese football federation said late on Tuesday that Ronaldo was doing well and had no symptoms after he tested positive while with his country’s national team.

He was in isolation and was dropped from the country’s Nations League match against Sweden yesterday in Lisbon.

“Ronaldo is doing great. He is dealing very well with this,” Portugal coach Fernando Santos said. “He is asymptomatic, he has no problems. He doesn’t even know how this happened to him.”

Ronaldo, one of the most prolific goal scorers in football’s history, played in the 0-0 draw at France in the Nations League last Sunday and in the 0-0 draw against Spain in a friendly last week.

On Monday, the Juventus forward posted a photo on Twitter and Instagram showing him and the rest of the Portugal squad having a meal together, along with the caption, in Portuguese, “United on and off the field!”

Photos by Portuguese media showed Ronaldo on a balcony overlooking his teammates practising below on a field at the national team’s training centre. In one of the images, he was shown giving the thumbs-up sign.

Players who tested positive for COVID-19 recently include Neymar, Kylian Mbappé, Paul Pogba, Paulo Dybala, Ángel Di María, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Diego Costa.

The Portuguese federation said Ronaldo’s result prompted another round of tests for the rest of the national squad. It said everyone else in the team tested negative.

“We have done everything we were told, we have taken all precautions,” Santos said. “We are here confined. It’s like a bubble. No one is coming in or going out. In the first training period there was no problem, but now there was a problem, but not because we broke the rules. It just happened. The players are very concerned about abiding by the safety rules.”

Santos said Ronaldo’s positive result came on Monday and he remained in isolation in his room until he could be tested again on Tuesday along with the rest of the squad. He said the players have been tested seven times since they arrived.

Two other Portugal players, José Fonte and Anthony Lopes, also tested positive for COVID-19 recently.