NAIROBI (AFP) – Unidentified gunmen killed six civilians and wounded three others in a restive part of northern Burundi, a government official said on Friday, the latest in a string of deadly attacks.
The assailants launched a series of coordinated assaults late Thursday on several locations in the village of Matongo, before retreating to the dense cover of a nearby jungle that has long served as a rebel hideout.
One victim was still missing, said Alice Nsabiyunva, the administrator of Matongo, about 70 kilometres northeast of the main city of Bujumbura. Four men and two children were killed, said one witness to the attacks who declined to be identified.
Last week, the wife and son of a local leader in the same region were killed by gunmen who attacked from the thick forests of Kibira, Nsabiyunva said.
The jungles skirt Burundi’s western frontier with its much larger neighbour DR Congo, and during that country’s devastating civil war often served as a launch pad for rebel attacks.