A home in STKRJ Kampong Rimba was saved from extensive damage last Saturday thanks to the swift actions of its four residents and their neighbours.
The Fire and Rescue Department (FRD) said nine personnel from the Rimba Fire Station responded to a fire alert at 5.56pm.
Led by Commanding Officer of the ‘C’ Operation Branch SSFR Pengiran Azizul Rahman bin Pengiran Haji Yusop, the firefighters arrived at the scene to find thick smoke coming from the living room of the two-storey house.
Using breathing apparatus and water from a nearby hydrant, the crew entered the house to contain the fire.
According the FRD, the residents and neighbours were able to keep the fire at bay until the arrival of the firefighters to extinguish it.
No injuries were reported, and the cause of the fire and estimated cost of damage are still under investigation.
The FRD also reminded the public to educate themselves on home fire safety, including avoiding circuit overloads, ensuring the wiring is in working condition and having checks done by companied accredited by the Department of Electrical Services (DES).
The public is also reminded to switch off electrical appliances after use and before leaving the house.
Cooking should not be left unattended, the FRD cautioned, and each house must be equipped with fire blankets, fire extinguishers and smoke detectors.
For fire-related emergencies, contact the department at 995.