Sarawak welcomes postponement of entry and exit charges

Azlan Othman

The Sarawak government welcomed the Brunei Government’s postponement of entry and exit charges for travellers crossing its borders by land to October 1, Malaysian media reported.

The Exit and Entry Charges Order, 2020 was supposed to take effect on August 1. “We highly appreciate and thank the Brunei Government because they have decided to postpone entry and exit fees charged on travellers passing through their country,” Sarawak Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Awang Tengah Ali Hasan said in a statement.

Tengah said Malaysia, especially Sarawak, greatly appreciated the friendship and close ties between the two neighbouring countries.

Tengah said the decision will allow Brunei Darussalam to discuss the enforcement in-depth, taking into consideration matters that he had raised in his official letter to the sultanate.

In an announcement early last month, Brunei Darussalam said it would impose a BND3 (RM9.27) charge per journey under its Exit and Entry Charges Order to all land border arrivals and departing passengers.

Many community and political leaders from northern Sarawak have expressed concern that Malaysians from Miri, Limbang and Lawas would be affected as they would have to pass through Brunei while travelling between these places. There is currently no road in Sarawak that connects Miri directly with Limbang or Lawas.