MANILA (XINHUA) – The number of confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases in the Philippines surged to 157,918 after the Department of Health (DoH) reported 4,351 new daily cases yesterday.
The DoH said that the number of recoveries further rose to 72,209 after 885 more patients have survived the disease.
The death toll also increased to 2,600 after 159 more patients have succumbed to the viral disease, the DoH added.
Metro Manila topped the five regions or provinces with the highest number of daily confirmed cases reported yesterday with 2,460, followed by Laguna province, south of Manila, 232; Cavite province, south of Manila, 211; Cebu province in the central Philippines, 187; and Rizal province, east of Manila, 184.
Data from the DoH said that the Philippines has tested over 1.8 million people for COVID-19 so far.
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said President Rodrigo Duterte will announce tomorrow the quarantine classifications of Metro Manila and the outlying provinces of Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal. These areas have been placed under a strict lockdown since August 4 due to high infection rates.
To balance health and the economy, the Philippines is implementing localised coronavirus lockdowns in communities or streets to manage the economic impact of the pandemic.