Fire guts Sungai Hanching house

James Kon

A two-storey house in Kampong Sungai Hanching was gutted by a fire yesterday, and in trying to save the house, firefighters also found three nearby fire hydrants faulty.

Ten firefighters from Lambak Kanan Fire Station and the water tank support from Beribi Fire Station, led by Commanding Officer of Operation ‘C’ Branch SSFR Pengiran Azizul Rahman bin Pengiran Haji Yusop, rushed to the scene after receiving a distress call at 8.34am, according to the Fire and Rescue Department (FRD).

Firefighters put out the blaze in eight minutes. No injuries were reported.

The cause and cost of damage are being ascertained.

In light of yesterday’s incident, the FRD urged public to equip their residence with fire extinguishers and blankets and to ensure all electrical appliances are switched off before leavin the house.

ABOVE & BELOW: A firefighter at the scene; and the two-storey house engulfed by the fire. PHOTO: FRD

The FRD also cautioned against leaving food on the stove unattended. In case of a gas leak, the public is reminded to open windows and doors for ventilation.

The public is also reminded to make sure all wirings are in good condition and all inspections conducted by companies accredited by the Department of Electrical Services.

The FRD requested the public to check fire hydrants in the neighbourhood and contact the FRD if any are faulty.

Members of the public can contact 995 for emergencies.