Quick-thinking spares home from fiery disaster

James Kon

A homeowner’s quick thinking saved his Kampong Keramut home in Mukim Telisai from being destroyed by an electrical fire last Sunday.

Responding to a distress call at 8.02pm, a team of six firefighters led by DSO Abdul Aziz from the Bukit Beruang Fire Station were dispatched to the scene. On arriving, they found that the fire had already been put out by the homeowner, Mohammad bin Majid, using a two kg powder extinguisher.

No injuries were reported, and the cause of the fire is under investigation.

In another electrical fire incident, a five-man team led by ASO Haji Murni bin Haji Maidin from the Pelancaran Fire Station rushed to an address in Kampong Sungai Pandan at 4.37am last Monday.

The fire crew entered the house to find that the fire had only affected an electrical switchboard.

The damaged electrical panel. PHOTO: FRD

Homeowner Nor Asladi bin Ismail had put out the fire on his own. No one was hurt in the incident.

The Fire and Rescue Department (FRD), meanwhile, advised the public to avoid circuit overloads and to switch off all electrical appliances when not in use.

Members of the public are also urged to ensure that their home electrical wiring is in good condition and inspected by companies with accreditation from the Department of Electrical Services.

All households and buildings should be equipped with fire extinguishers, fire blankets and battery-operated smoke detectors.