Wuhan Open tennis ‘hugely symbolic’ for coronavirus-scarred city

SHANGHAI (AFP) – Staging the Wuhan Open later this year will send a powerful message about the city’s recovery from coronavirus and have an impact that stretches beyond tennis, the tournament’s co-director told AFP.

The central Chinese city was the original epicentre of the pandemic and nearly 4,000 people died from the disease there before it spread worldwide.

But the annual Wuhan Open is now pencilled in for October 19-25 after the WTA (Women’s Tennis Association) this week released its provisional calendar for the rest of the year.

The schedule “is conditioned on several key factors” including player safety, government approvals and relaxation of travel restrictions, the WTA said. At present, most foreign nationals are barred from entering China.

Wuhan Open Co-Director Brenda Perry told AFP the tournament will not go ahead if overseas players cannot come, and that a final decision will be made around early August. But she added: “I’m thrilled for all my colleagues and friends in Wuhan, and what this will mean to the city and the people of the city.

This 2019 file photo shows a match in progress at the Wuhan Open tennis tournament. PHOTO: AFP

“It’s hugely symbolic of overcoming a hugely challenging moment. They went through what seemed to me one of the most stringent lockdowns in the world,” said the 62-year-old, speaking by telephone from Auckland.

“To come through that and then hold an international professional tennis event would be amazing for morale and show the world the great job they’ve done on recovery.”

Last year’s Wuhan Open had a nearly USD3 million prize fund and a high-quality field, with world number one Ashleigh Barty losing in the semi-finals to eventual champion Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus.

But just a few months later Wuhan’s 11 million people were subjected to a harsh lockdown that lasted 76 days and put the city in the global spotlight for all the wrong reasons.