Malaysia postpones sending Haj pilgrims this year

PUTRAJAYA (BERNAMA) – Malaysia will not send pilgrims for the Haj season this year, said Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Dr Zulkifli Mohamad Al-Bakri.

He said the decision on the matter was made after receiving the consent of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah.

“Based on the briefings by the Ministry of Health Malaysia (MoH), Lembaga Tabung Haji (TH) and the Special Muzakarah Committee Meeting of the National Council for Islamic Religious Affairs, held on June 9, the Haj pilgrimage for the 1441H Haj season has been postponed.

“This had been a difficult decision as we know performing the Haj is of great importance to Muslims,” he told a press conference yesterday.

Zulkifli said the syarak has stated that doing things that can cause damage or harm must first be avoided before doing good deeds provided that the maslahah (benefit) derived is far less than the damage that is likely to occur.