Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Haji Jaafar announced the news of the country’s third death from COVID-19 at a press conference yesterday.
The latest fatality is a local man, aged 67 who had been receiving treatment at the Intensive Care Unit of the National Isolation Centre (NIC) since March 30. He passed away on June 15.
Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham said, “By the will of Allah the Almighty and with a heavy heart, the Ministry of Health (MoH) would like to inform the public on a third case that has returned to the grace and mercy of Allah the Almighty due to COVID-19 in this country.”
Providing brief information of the deceased, the minister said, “The deceased was Case 122 of COVID-19 in Brunei Darussalam, who was a 67-year-old local male. He has returned to the grace and mercy of Allah on Monday, June 15 at 7.35pm at the NIC. He had been undergoing treatment at the NIC since being diagnosed positive with COVID-19 on March 28.
“He developed signs of infection on March 23, and was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit at the NIC on March 30.
“He has continously tested negative for the SARS-CoV-2 virus since May 10 and has been undergoing intensive care treatment at the NIC,” he said.
To protect and respect the privacy as well as confidentiality of his family, the minister said, “The MoH will not share personal details of the deceased. Members of the public are also requested to respect and not disseminate information relating to the deceased and his family.”
Representing the MoH as well as the people of Brunei Darussalam, the minister expressed his deepest condolences to the deceased’s family and pray that his soul will be blessed by Allah the Almighty and that he is placed among the righteous.