KUNDUZ, AFGHANISTAN (AFP) – A roadside bomb in northern Afghanistan killed 11 pro-government militiamen when it tore through a truck in pre-dawn attack yesterday that officials blamed on the Taleban.
The group were travelling through Badakshan province to assist security forces in the area, officials said.
A local commander was among the fatalities, provincial governor’s spokesman Sanaullah Rohani told AFP.
Badakshan provincial council member Abduallah Naji said the Taleban were responsible for the incident but the militants have so far not claimed the attack.
Local militias often work with overstretched security forces in Afghanistan, and have been regularly targetted by the Taleban.
The attack comes as violence has ebbed across much of Afghanistan following the Taleban’s three-day ceasefire against Afghan forces last month. Officials have blamed some deadly attacks on the Taleban since the truce ended on May 26.
The United States air force also carried out strikes against the militants in separate provinces this week for the first time since the ceasefire.
Washington signed a landmark deal with the Taleban in February, pledging to withdraw all troops from the country in return for security guarantees.