ROME (AFP) – Mario Balotelli’s ill-fated stint at hometown club Brescia appears to be coming to an end, with local media reporting yesterday his contract will be terminated after repeated absences from training.
A letter notifying Balotelli of his release was sent to the Italy international by the club’s lawyers on Friday, according to Sky Sport, Gazzetta dello Sport and the AGI news agency.
Balotelli has reportedly missed a number of sessions since Serie A teams returned to training at the start of May. Players initially worked out individually before clearance was given for them to resume team training.
The 29-year-old said this week he had been sick and would send the club medical certificates as proof.
Brescia coach Diego Lopez said on Friday he was “disappointed” with the forward’s attitude. “Mario is training separately because his team-mates have done work that he hasn’t,” Lopez told Corriere della Sera.
“The (individual) training sessions were optional, okay. But the group took one road and he took another.”