Swift action saves store from being reduced to ashes

Rokiah Mahmud

The swift action of an employee saved a Kampong Kupang mini mart from being reduced to ashes last Saturday morning.

Realising there was a fire, Haji Bolhassan Mini Mart employee Suhibol Danial bin Salim sprung into action, preventing its spread across the store.

The Fire and Rescue Department (FRD) received a distress call at 7.23am and dispatched two fire trucks from the Lamunin Fire Station. When the six-member FRD team (led by ABK517 Zakaria) arrived at the scene, only a thick plume of black smoke remained. No injuries or fatalities were recorded.

The FRD reminded the public not to overload electricity supplies; to switch off all unused electrical appliances and not leave them unattended; ensure all electrical wiring is according to set standards; and to have premises equipped with safety tools such as a fire blanket or smoke detector.

The FRD can be reached at 995 in the event of an emergency.

The shop where the fire broke out in Kampong Kupang. PHOTO: FRD