Ramadhan food trucks’ drive-thru service begins

Wani Roslan

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA) in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports (MCYS) and the Ministry of Health has allowed the pre-order and drive-thru business concept for the public to buy food for iftar during Ramadhan.

Fourteen registered food trucks are made available since yesterday, selling various types of food and beverages, while maintaining social distancing and avoiding mass gathering.

The food trucks are located at the car park area of the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium, from 1pm-7pm, except for Friday at 2pm-7pm.

One of the vendors Haji Mohd Badrun bin Haji Samsol of Perusahaan Haji Samsol bin Haji Md Said expressed his appreciation to the Government of His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu’izzaddin Waddaulah ibni Al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar ‘Ali Saifuddien Sa’adul Khairi Waddien, Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam for the initiative in allowing vendors to sell their items through food truck system.

“Previously, we set up our small business at Jerudong Beach, and now, no vendors are allowed, and through this initiative, we are able to continue our business. Alhamdulillah, we received good response from the public,” he said.

Fourteen registered food trucks started their drive-thru service since yesterday, selling various types of food and beverages at the car park area of the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas. Photo shows vehicles queueing to buy food from one of the food trucks.
A vendor hands over food to a buyer during the drive-thru. PHOTOS: RAHWANI ZAHARI

According to the Acting Director of Youth and Sports Mariam binti Ulat, the food truck initiative helps the public to buy food items throughout Ramadhan and gives opportunity for vendors to sell their products during the coronavirus pandemic.

“The ministry hopes that all vendors can comply with the guidelines, and the most important aspect is to maintain cleanliness, including the food served and at the surrounding of the food trucks,” she said.

She also reminded that the initiative is a drive-thru concept, and buyers are not encouraged to get out from their vehicles when buying.

“People who are interested to participate can call Youth and Sports Department and their application will be considered,” she added.

Present to witness and monitor the food truck yesterday were Permanent Secretary (Administration, Finance and Estate) at the MCYS Pengiran Mohd Amirrizal bin Pengiran Haji Mahmud and Deputy Permanent Secretary (Youth and Sports) at the MCYS Colonel (Rtd) Pengiran Haji Maiddin bin Pengiran Haji Said.

Among the registered vendors are Par Food & Beverage Sdn Bhd @ Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Brunei, Casbah London Kebab, Altaib Enterprise, Syarikat Izzatul Zahra, Syarikat Dayang Noralimah, Dapur Mega Mahligai, Khal’s Coffee, and Perusahaan Haji Samsol bin Haji Md Said.