MADRID (AFP) – The president of Spain’s La Liga last Sunday said he hopes the tournament can resume on June 12 but that their hands are tied by government health policy.
Javier Tebas was speaking just hours after five players from Spain’s top two leagues had tested positive for coronavirus.
He then confirmed that three non-playing staff had also tested positive.
“I would like it (the season resuming) to be June 12, but it will depend on the numbers,” Tebas told Movistar.
“In the end it will be up to the health authorities. They explain what can be done. We do not rush, we are not the ones who decide the phases.”
Despite Sunday’s announcement of more positive tests, Tebas insisted Spain was on the right track for a speedy resumption of the sport.
“It is less than we expected. We expected 25 or 30, according to the numbers seen in the Bundesliga and the potency of the virus in Spain.
“Out of 2,500 individuals only eight positives. And the players already are in the final phase of the disease and this week they will be tested again.”
Tebas added that when the competition restarts, players will be tested 24 hours beforehand.
“In the match environment, infection is practically impossible because we have carried out a study that we will present that shows the smallest risk is in matches if everyone respects the medical protocol.
“If things are done as they should be, there shouldn’t be any infections. If five infected appear in one club, it would suggest some negligence.”
Players in Spain’s top-flight and Segunda division were allowed to carry out individual work at training grounds last week.
The move was the beginning of a staggered training programme with the aim to restart competitive games in the middle of June.