One new COVID-19 case, first since April 10

James Kon

After no COVID-19 cases being reported since April 10, Brunei yesterday recorded a new confirmed case bringing the total number of cases to 137.

Meanwhile, one COVID-19 case recovered yesterday, bringing the total number of recovered cases to 113.

Case 137 is a woman aged 31 and the wife of Case 109 and is related to Case 73 cluster. She does not have any travel history and does not have any signs of infection.

Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Haji Jaafar revealed these details at the daily press conference yesterday.

He said, “Today’s new case proves that our country is still under the threat of the COVID-19 outbreak and that we need to remain vigilant and not to be complacent and always obey the directives and advice issued by the government. The Ministry of Health once again reminds the public to continue to carry out their social responsibilities and cultivate preventive measures.

Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Haji Jaafar speaks at the press conference yesterday. PHOTO: AZIZ IDRIS

“The public should always practise social distancing by avoiding large crowds when visiting retail stores or markets as previously advised. This is in addition to adhering to the restriction of mass gathering and practising personal hygiene, as well as ensuring a clean environment at all times,” the minister said.

“The public is also reminded to dispose used face masks properly in garbage bins. This is to prevent the spread of infection and maintain cleanliness,” Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham said.

The minister said the number of active cases being treated at the National Isolation Centre is 23 where two are still in a critical condition with both requiring heart/lung machine (ECMO) and respiratory assistance.

“The rest are in a stable condition,” he said.

Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham said 85 individuals are undergoing quarantine in accordance with the Infectious Diseases Act (Chapter 204) and 2,407 individuals have completed their quarantine.

He said in the past 24 hours, 165 samples have been tested for the virus, bringing the total number of laboratory tests conducted since January 2020 to 11,254.

The Minister of Health also revealed that five more individuals who have recovered have been re-admitted to the National Isolation Centre after testing positive during the follow-up examination.

This brings the total number of re-admitted cases to 16. Of this, four individuals have been allowed to return home while 12 are undergoing

further examination and testing.Brunei-Muara District has 110 cases, Belait District 21 and Tutong District six, healthinfo.gov.bn revealed in its breakdown of COVID-19 cases in the country.

The public can visit the official website of the Ministry of Health www.moh.gov.bn or contact the Health Advice Line at 148 or through the web application healthinfo.gov.bn for information and updates.