One new case of COVID-19; total recoveries now 66

James Kon

Brunei Darussalam recorded only one confirmed COVID-19 case yesterday bringing the total number of persons infected in the country to 135.

Another COVID-19 patient made complete recovery and was allowed to return home. This brings the total number of recoveries in the country to 66.

Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Haji Jaafar highlighted these details at a press conference yesterday.

The minister, explaining the only case recorded yesterday, Case 135, said he is a local man aged 43 who went to Malaysia on February 27 but did not attend the Tabligh gathering at Jamek Sri Petaling Mosque, Malaysia.

“The man then went to Makassar, Indonesia on March 10 to attend a Tabligh gathering there. However, the Tabligh gathering was cancelled and he was quarantined until March 24, 2020 by the Indonesian authorities. On March 25 he left for Jakarta and on April 2 embarked on a flight to Kuala Lumpur on-board Malaysia Airlines MH720. He returned to Brunei Darussalam on April 3 from Kuala Lumpur via Miri, Sarawak on-board Malaysia Airlines MH2574 (seated at 2G). He developed a cough on March 22,” Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham said.

He said one more case treated at the National Isolation Centre has recovered and was allowed to return home, bringing the total number of people recovered so far to 66.

Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Haji Jaafar during the press conference. PHOTO: AZIZ IDRIS

“This means that 68 cases are still receiving treatment at the National Isolation Centre. Three are still in a critical condition and require respiratory assistance at the Intensive Care Unit of the National Isolation Centre, where one still requires heart / lung machine (ECMO) assistance. Meanwhile, the rest are in a stable condition,” the minister said.

He said 353 individuals are undergoing quarantine in accordance with the Infectious Diseases Act (Chapter 204) while 1,984 individuals have completed their quarantine and are in a stable condition.

Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham said as of yesterday, 243 individuals have completed their isolation period at facilities provided by the government and were allowed to return to their homes. Since early January 2020, a total of 7,801 laboratory tests for COVID-19 have been conducted, leading to a ratio of one in 56 residents in the country tested for COVID-19.

According to healthinfo.gov.bn, the breakdown of cases shows 108 in the Brunei-Muara District, 23 in the Belait District and four in the Tutong District. There are no cases in the Temburong District.

Information and updates are available on the official website of the Ministry of Health at www.moh.gov.bn or by contacting the Health Advice Line at 148 (operating 24 hours) or through the web application healthinfo.gov.bn.