An expedition video uploaded to YouTube recently went viral when a featured rider was heard saying that there were no restrictions on foreigners to enter Brunei Darussalam.
This matter was clarified by Minister of Home Affairs Pehin Orang Kaya Seri Kerna Dato Seri Setia (Dr) Haji Awang Abu Bakar bin Haji Apong at a press conference.
He said, “On March 24, Brunei Darussalam implemented travel restrictions for foreign nationals to enter or transit in the country. All foreign nationals would need to obtain permission from the Immigration and National Registration Department (INRD), through info.immigration.gov.bn.”
The minister said, “Without such authorisation, no foreign nationals would be allowed to enter or transit the country.” An investigation of the video footage revealed that it had been shot on March 16, before the travel restrictions were announced.
“The INRD will be collaborating with several enforcement agencies to take action on any parties or individuals responsible for spreading this video,” said Pehin Orang Kaya Seri Kerna Dato Seri Setia (Dr) Haji Awang Abu Bakar.
He also warned that spreading false information is an offence under Section 34 of the Public Order Act, Chapter 148, punishable by a fine of BND3,000 and imprisonment of not more than three years.