No new cases today; 1 more recovery; no new relapse cases

 


Highlights from today’s press conference 

Here are highlights from today’s press conference at the Ministry of Health (MoH) with the Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Jaafar; the Minister of Religious Affairs Pehin Udana Khatib Dato Paduka Seri Setia Ustaz Hj Awg Badaruddin bin Pengarah Dato Paduka Hj Awang Othman and Minister of Transport and Info-communications Dato Seri Setia Awang Abdul Mutalib bin Pehin Orang Kaya Seri Setia Dato Paduka Haji Mohammad Yusof.

The Minister of Health speaking at the press conference held at Al-‘Afiah Hall of the Ministry of Health today. (PHOTO: BAHIYAH BAKIR)

The Minister of Health announced no new COVID-19 cases in Brunei today. The national tally stands at 138.

  • One new recovery was recorded today, bringing the total discharged patients to 116. There are currently 21 active cases being treated at the National Isolation Centre (NIC) in Tutong.
  • Two patients remain in critical condition, requiring ventilator support. The rest of the patients are in a stable condition.
  • As of today, 138 individuals are undergoing quarantine according to the Infectious Diseases Act (Chapter 204) and a total of 2408 have completed the quarantine period and are in good health.
  • Since the emergence of COVID-19 in early January 2020, a total of 11,633 laboratory tests for COVID-19 have been conducted.

No new relapse cases

With regards to cases that have recovered but found to be positive again during follow-up tests, the Minister of Health informed that no such case has been detected today, bringing the total number of such cases as of today to remain at 18 individuals, of which 13 individuals are still undergoing further examination and testing.


Random COVID-19 tests conducted on foreign workers show negative results

As of April 7, a total of 1,001 random COVID-19 tests for the purpose of surveillance have been conducted on foreign workers, in which all tests results are negative.

The Minister of Health also shared that as a precautionary measure, beginning April 16, the MoH has also conducted COVID-19 tests to inmates in all prison institutions and residents of Al-Islah Rehabilitation Centre, including those who are new to the facilities for surveillance purposes. So far, he said all test results are negative, while adding that the ministry will continue to conduct such surveillance tests from time to time.

Samples of swab test kits at the Flu Clinic of the Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha (RIPAS) Hospital ready to be sent for testing. (PHOTO: HAKIM HAYAT)

Practice prevention measures during recreational activities

Following his statement on Sunday on the prohibition activities that involve mass gathering in public places, especially in parks and recreational forests sites, beaches and lakes, the Minister of Health clarified that the ministry has no restriction for the public to visit these public spaces, but reminded them to comply with all the directives and advice issued by the government.

“This includes practicing physical distancing of at least one meter away from others in the surrounding and to not engage in group activities. The public needs to carry out their social responsibilities and cultivate preventive measures such as to not visit recreational sites if you are unwell; refrain from gathering or hanging out before, during and after performing physical activity and leave the site immediately once finished; practice personal and environmental hygiene; as well as to practice proper cough and sneeze etiquette,” the minister said.

People playing a game of cricket at the Tungku Beach. (PHOTO: RAHWANI ZAHARI)

Mosques, suraus prayer halls closure extended for another week

The closure of mosques, suraus and prayer halls nationwide will be extended for the sixth week until April 27, in light of the COVID-19 situation in Brunei, the Minister of Religious Affairs said.

As the closure this week will also include the first few days of Ramadhan, the minister said that the Brunei Islamic Religious Council (MUIB) has decided that the nightly terawih prayers usually held at mosques throughout Ramadhan can be held at residences, among the presence of family members only and should follow guidelines set by the Ministry of Health.

The Minister of Religious Affairs speaking at the press conference held at Al-‘Afiah Hall of the Ministry of Health today. (PHOTO: BAHIYAH BAKIR)

Brunei parcels stuck in Miri, Limbang post offices to be processed by Postal Services Department

The Minister of Transport and Info-communications today said that that the Postal Services Department has reached an agreement with Malaysia Post to give their Brunei counterpart authorisation as a representative for the collection of Brunei parcels in Miri and Limbang post offices.

Those who wish to receive their parcels through the Postal Services Department can fill up a declaration form available in www.post.gov.bn/parcel. The parcels will be processed through the Mail Processing Centre, Berakas.

Minister of Transport and Info-communications speaking at the press conference held at Al’Afiah Hall of the Ministry of Health today. (PHOTO: BAHIYAH BAKIR)

Get more details and follow more news updates on Tuesday’s Borneo Bulletin.

For more COVID-19 updates in Brunei, follow live updates on Borneo Bulletin’s FacebookTwitter and Instagram pages. 

For advice on COVID-19, call the Health Advice Line at 148 or visit the Ministry of Health’s website or go to www.healthinfo.gov.bn