Malaysia reports 184 new COVID-19 cases, death toll rises by three

CNA – Malaysian health authorities reported 184 additional confirmed cases of COVID-19 yesterday, raising the cumulative tally to 4,530, the highest number for any country in Southeast Asia.

The latest data includes three new deaths, raising total fatalities from the outbreak to 73.

Malaysia Health Director-General Noor Hisham Abdullah said the 71st fatality (Case 3,091) was a 66-year-old Malaysian man with a history of diabetes, high blood pressure and gout.

“He was a close contact of a COVID-19 patient (Case 452) from the Seri Petaling cluster. He was admitted to Hospital Tuanku Ja’afar, Negeri Sembilan on April 1 and was confirmed to have died at 12.05pm yesterday,” he said.

“The 72nd death (Case 537) involved a 71-year-old Malaysian man with a history of diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease.

“He had been treated at the Sungai Buloh Hospital, Selangor since March 15 and was confirmed to have died at 11.15am yesterday.”

The 73rd death (Case 2,399) was a 63-year-old Malaysian man who had a history of high blood pressure, said Dr Noor Hisham. “He was admitted to Hospital Raja Permaisuri Bainun, Ipoh in Perak on March 25 and died yesterday noon.”

Dr Noor Hisham said 165 cases had recovered and were discharged yesterday, raising the cumulative total of recoveries to 1,995, or 44 per cent of the total number of cases.

He said 72 cases were still being treated in intensive care, with 38 of them requiring ventilators.

Malaysia on Friday announced a further extension of its movement control order (MCO) by another 14 days until Apr 28.

Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin said in a live address that the MCO had helped to reduce the spread of COVID-19, and the growth of positive cases had been controlled to a rate of seven per cent, below the 10 per cent benchmark set by the World Health Organization (WHO).

“The number of (daily) positive cases has also decreased. If this trend continues for the next two weeks, we can prevent COVID-19 from spreading. But we cannot take the situation lightly.

“The war is not over, the fight is still on,” he said.

Health workers wearing protective suits walk towards two apartment buildings in Kuala Lumpur after they were cordoned off due to a number of cases of COVID-19 at the premises. PHOTO: AFP