Brunei, which had no new COVID-19 cases for five consecutive days, recorded one new case yesterday bringing the total number of infected persons in the country to 136 since March 9.
Seven patients made total recoveries and were allowed to return home. This brings the total of number COVID-19 recoveries in the country to 99.
Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Haji Jaafar disclosed these details at a press conference yesterday.
“The latest case is a local man aged 28 studying in Indonesia. Case 136 flew from Indonesia to Malaysia.
“He travelled on Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight MH0872 seat 3A to Kuala Lumpur on April 7 and returned to the country on Royal Brunei Airlines (RB) flight BI874 seat 36D on April 8. He did not show any symptoms of the infection,” the minister said.
Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham said the new case shows that the country is still under the threat of COVID-19, particularly in people travelling from overseas.
“We have to remain vigilant and not be complacent. The Ministry of Health (MoH) once again reminds the public to continue social responsibilities and take preventive measures.
“The people should always practise physical and social distancing by avoiding going to retail stores, business outlets and markets in large crowds as previously stated.
“This is in addition to complying with restrictions on mass gatherings and practising personal hygiene and maintaining a clean environment,” the minister said.
Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham said 36 cases are still receiving treatment at the National Isolation Centre (NIC) where two patients are still in a critical condition. Both require heart/lung machine (ECMO) and respiratory assistance. The remaining cases are in a stable condition.
“A total of 2,308 individuals completed their quarantine in accordance to the Infectious Diseases Act Chapter 204 and 74 individuals are under quarantine.
“In the past 24 hours, 357 samples have been tested for SARS-CoV-2 bringing the total number of laboratory tests conducted since January 2020 to 9,342,” he said.
For information, the public can visit the MoH official website www.moh.gov.bn or contact the Health Advice Line 148 or through the web application healthinfo.gov.bn.
According to healthinfo.gov.bn, the breakdown of cases shows 109 in the Brunei-Muara district, 23 in the Belait District and four in the Tutong District. There are no cases in the Temburong District.