COVID-19 updates in Brunei – April 6

 


Highlights from today’s press conference 

Here are highlights from today’s press conference at the Ministry of Health (MoH) with the Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Jaafar; Minister of Religious Affairs Pehin Udana Khatib Dato Paduka Seri Setia Ustaz Hj Awg Badaruddin bin Pengarah Dato Paduka Hj Awang Othman and Minister of Home Affairs Pehin Orang Kaya Seri Kerna Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Awang Abu Bakar bin Haji Apong.

(From L-R) The Minister of Home Affairs Pehin Orang Kaya Seri Kerna Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Awang Abu Bakar bin Haji Apong; Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Jaafar and Minister of Religious Affairs Pehin Udana Khatib Dato Paduka Seri Setia Ustaz Hj Awg Badaruddin bin Pengarah Dato Paduka Hj Awang Othman at the press conference held at the Al-Afiah Hall of the Ministry of Health today . (PHOTO: BAHIYAH BAKIR)

 

No new COVID-19 cases today

The Minister of Health announced that no new COVID-19 cases were recorded today, marking Brunei’s second consecutive day without any new cases since the first case was reported here on March 9. The Minister however cautioned that the spread of the disease has not ended. “We must continue to abide to all the precautionary measures in order to further reduce the risk of spreading the infection.”

  • A further 9 patients at the National Isolation Centre (NIC) in Tutong have been discharged, bringing total number of people recovered to 82. There are now 52 active cases.
  • Two patients remain in critical condition, with one of them requiring ventilator support while one patient requires intensive care. The rest are in a stable condition.
  • As of today, as many as 237 individuals are undergoing quarantine according to the Infectious Diseases Act (Chapter 204) and a total of 2124 have completed the quarantine period and are in good health.
  • Since the emergence of COVID-19 in early January 2020, a total of 8261 laboratory tests for COVID-19 have been conducted.

 


No Gerai Ramadhan this year 

The Minister of Home Affairs announced today that the Gerai Ramadhan or Ramadhan Bazaars typically held in different locations across the country during the holy month, which is coming soon will not be held this year, as part of a measure to curb the spread of COVID-19. The rule applies to all registered stalls, as well as those usually seen at road sides during Ramadhan.

The Minister however said that his ministry in coordination with other ministries are coordinating an online platform that stall owners and sellers can use to continue conducting their food and beverage businesses online.

People looking through a food spread sold by Gerai Ramadhan operators at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium parking lot in May last year. (PHOTO: RAHWANI ZAHARI)

Mosques, suraus, prayer halls closure extended

The closure all of mosques, suraus and prayer halls in Brunei has been extended to April 13, taking into account the protection of the health of congregants amid the COVID-19 outbreak, the Minister of Religious Affairs announced today.

A closure notice put on the gates of Suri Seri Begawan Raja Pengiran Anak Damit Mosque in Kampong Madang.(PHOTO: RAHWANI ZAHARI)

Random COVID-19 tests for migrant workers

The Minister of Health said that to date, 25 out of 135 COVID-19 cases detected (18.5%) in Brunei were foreigners. This includes some of the foreign workers who are working in the country. Therefore, the Ministry of Health will enhance the monitoring of the spread of COVID-19 in the country, especially among migrant workers by conducting laboratory tests at random among migrant workers. Selected employers will be contacted to bring the workers to undergo the laboratory COVID-19 test for free.


Get more details and follow more news updates on Tuesday’s Borneo Bulletin.

For more COVID-19 updates in Brunei, follow live updates on Borneo Bulletin’s FacebookTwitter and Instagram pages. 

For advice on COVID-19, call the Health Advice Line at 148 or visit the Ministry of Health’s website