Highlights from today’s press conference
Here are highlights from today’s press conference at the Ministry of Health (MoH) with the Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Jaafar and the Minister of Education Dato Seri Setia Awang Haji Hamzah bin Haji Sulaiman.
No new COVID-19 cases for fifth consecutive day
The Minister of Health announced that no new COVID-19 cases were recorded today, marking Brunei’s fifth consecutive day without any new cases since the first case was reported here on March 9. The national tally still stands at 135.
- A further 1 patient at the National Isolation Centre (NIC) in Tutong was discharged, bringing total number of people recovered to 92. There are now 42 active cases.
- Two patients remain in critical condition, requiring ventilator support. The rest of the patients are in a stable condition.
- As of today, 91 individuals are still undergoing quarantine according to the Infectious Diseases Act (Chapter 204) and a total of 2293 have completed the quarantine period and are in good health.
- Since the emergence of COVID-19 in early January 2020, a total of 8985 laboratory tests for COVID-19 have been conducted.
374 random tests for foreign workers so far, all negative
As recently announced, the MoH in its efforts in enhancing the surveillance of the COVID-19 outbreak in the country, has conducted randomised testing especially among foreign workers as well as specific groups in collaboration with the Ministry of Home Affairs (MoHA). The Minister of Health said that a total of 374 tests have been conducted, in which all tests results are negative so far.
Amid restrictions and measures, don’t forget physical activity
The Minister of Health said that with current concerns facing the spread of the COVID-19 outbreak, the public should maintain a healthy lifestyle and not to forget physical activity of at least 30 minutes a day for adults and 60 minutes a day for children. “This is to maintain the health of the body and to prevent non-communicable diseases which can be prevented by practicing physical activity. Physical activity can be done individually either indoors, around the yard or in recreational parks and not in groups, and to always practice physical distancing between people,” he said.
Online learning at home to continue, Ramadhan and Hari Raya special holiday announced
The Minister of Education said that with advice from the MoH and in ensuring the well-being and safety of students, the second school academic term will continue to be implemented online for all primary, secondary, sixth form centres, vocational and technical schools, including religious schools and private schools, from April 13 to May 14. For international schools, these dates are according to the dates set by the respective institutions.
A special school holiday for the Ramadhan and Hari Raya Aidilfitri will also commence May 15 to May 31 this year. The second school term for all all primary, secondary, sixth form centres, vocational and technical schools, including religious schools and private schools will resume June 2, while for international schools, these dates are according to the dates set by the respective institutions.
The Minister however said that these dates and its implementation will still be subject to developments on the COVID-19 situation in Brunei and advice from the MoH.
Get more details and follow more news updates on Friday’s Borneo Bulletin.