Chad says will stop taking part in regional anti-extremist operations

N’DJAMENA (AFP) – Chadian President Idriss Deby Itno has said his country’s troops, who have been deployed to fight extremists in the Lake Chad region and the Sahel, will no longer take part in military operations outside national borders.

“Our troops have died for Lake Chad and the Sahel. From today, no Chadian soldiers will take part in a military mission outside Chad,” he told national TV in Arabic on Thursday. His remarks were broadcast in French on Friday.

His remarks coincided with the end of a major offensive by Chad’s armed forces against Boko Haram extremists but also frustration at perceived failures by allies to do more in the fight.

On Thursday, the armed forces said they had wound up an operation against Boko Haram in the Lake Chad region, saying 52 troops had been lost and a thousand extremists killed.

That operation was launched after 98 Chadian troops were killed in a Boko Haram raid on a base at Bohoma in the lake’s marshlands on March 23 – the biggest one-day military loss in the country’s history.

Lake Chad is a vast body of water where the borders of Niger, Nigeria, Chad and Cameroon meet.

Its western shores have been hit by extremists crossing from northeastern Nigeria, where Boko Haram launched a bloody campaign of violence in 2009.

The implications of Deby’s remarks for Chad’s wider military involvement were not immediately clear.

The four countries bordering the lake on 2015 set up a formation called the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), also including Benin, to fight Boko Haram.