Solid show of support for frontliners

Aziz Idris

While most are monitoring their own health in the face of the COVID-19 outbreak, medical professionals are working at the frontlines looking out for the entire community.

In this time of crisis, contributions continue to pour in to lessen the burden faced by these brave healthcare workers – be it in the form of packed meals, medical equipment, basic toiletries and even smartphones to connect with their loved ones.

A handful of business owners are demonstrating acts of kindness in supporting these frontliners, by churning out (since Monday) homemade scrub suits for them.

The initiative began with supplying scrub suits for families working in the frontlines, but it has now gone viral on social media and grown to a community ‘scrub-drive,’ with a 109 scrub-tops and 100 scrub-pants produced so far.

It was learnt that the initial target was to supply 400 scrub suits, but due to overwhelming response from donors, the cause aims to reach 1,000 scrub suits.

According to a business owner involved in the initiative, the scrub suits are made of cotton. It comes in two sizes and is unisex.

The cotton scrub suit come in two sizes, fit for unisex use. PHOTO: AZIZ IDRIS

“Tailors, material suppliers and the community came together in a brilliant show of unity and support for the frontliners in contributing to the production of hundreds of scrub suits to assist them in the carrying out their duties.”

The Weekend Bulletin visited one of the tailor shops involved. Its manager said they can produce 25 scrub suits per day, with three people working on a production line, each with individual tasks.

Earlier batches have already been distributed, and are being worn by healthcare workers.

This reflects how the community is working together to answer the government’s call to be socially responsible, while at the same time expressing absolute support for the doctors and nurses fighting the outbreak.

Meanwhile, another local business owner said, “We recognise that this crisis is unlike any other we have faced as a nation. Now more than ever, it is imperative that we join hands as Bruneians, forget about personal economic gains, and support the government and our people in this fight.”

COVID-19, now considered by the World Health Organization (WHO) as a pandemic, has infected more than 234,000 people in over 160 different countries and territories. The Ministry of Health yesterday announced five new COVID-19 cases in Brunei Darussalam, bringing the total to 78.

Brunei Darussalam also reported its first recovered case yesterday, with the patient ordered to be quarantined at home for one week.