Highlights from today’s press conference
Here are highlights from today’s press conference at the Ministry of Health (MoH) with the Minister of Health Dato Seri Setia Dr Haji Mohd Isham bin Jaafar and the Minister of Development Dato Seri Setia Ir. Awang Haji Suhaimi bin Haji Gafar.
- Ministry of Health today confirms 1 new COVID-19 case in Brunei, bringing the national tally to 115.
- 6 more patients have recovered, bringing the total recovered cases to 11.
- Case 115 is a local 39-year old who arrived here from the United Kingdom on March 21 with his family.
- Following thorough contact tracing for case 103 whose origin of his infection was unknown earlier, the Minister of Health said they found an epidemiological link to case 47.
- Two person are now in critical condition, requiring ventilator support, while 3 are under intensive care. The rest are in good health.
- As of today, as many as 1,140 individuals are undergoing quarantine according to the Infectious Diseases Act (Chapter 204) and a further 874 have completed the quarantine period and are in good health.
- Since the emergence of COVID-19 in early January 2020, a total of 4,994 laboratory tests for COVID-19 have been conducted.
New isolation centre under construction
The government is building a new national isolation centre that can accommodate up to 170 beds in Tutong, to increase capacity of the current centre. The building will be ready within 2-3 weeks, the Minister of Development shared in a press conference today.
The Minister said that current National Isolation Centre (NIC) in Tutong is already at 80 per cent of its capacity, and a new isolation centre is vital to ensure Brunei has the capacity to handle more COVID-19 cases, which have been reported every day since the first case was announced March 9.
Some of the facilities at the new isolation centre include isolated monitoring wards, X-Ray room, counselling and meeting rooms as well as on-call rooms for doctors and nurses.