Golfers Molinari, Gagli quarantined in Oman over coronavirus fears

MILAN (AFP) – Italian golfers Edoardo Molinari and Lorenzo Gagli have been quarantined in Muscat and forced to pull out of the Oman Open over fears they may have the coronavirus.

Gagli suffered flu-like symptoms during the week and as Molinari, the older brother of former British Open winner Francesco, was his roommate both have been placed in isolation as a precautionary measure.

Gagli told Italian newspaper La Nazione that he had been told he would have to remain isolated until next Wednesday.

“It’s an inexplicable decision,” Gagli said. “If there was a risk of contagion, then they would have to isolate dozens of golfers and cancel the tournament.”

Italy, which has reported 12 deaths and 400 confirmed cases in Europe’s worst outbreak of the virus, has attempted to lockdown the epicentre in the north to contain its spread.

Molinari, 39, comes from Turin in the north of Italy while 34-year-old Gagli hails from Florence in Tuscany, where there have also been cases.