Swift action saves house from going up in smoke

James Kon

The swift action of one man prevented the spread of a house fire at the Lambak Kanan National Housing Scheme on Tuesday afternoon.

Budin bin Haji Salleh, who is a relative of the homeowner, used buckets of water to prevent the spread of the fire before the firefighters arrived.

According to the Fire and Rescue Department (FRD), the distress call was made at 3.20pm, following which two fire engines with seven firefighters from the Lambak Kanan Fire Station were dispatched to the scene.

The fire was confined primarily to the panel board area, and damaged the wall and ceiling of the house.

Commander of the Lambak Kanan Fire Station ASFR Muhd Saifuddin bin Abdullah led the firefighters in dousing the fire.

The cause of the fire is believed to be a candle left burning on a rattan-table, while damages were estimated at BND10,000.

In the event of an emergency, contact the FRD Operation Centre at 995.

The fire was triggered by an unattended candle. PHOTO: FRD