PHNOM PENH (Xinhua) – Thirty-five students at a high school in northwest Cambodia’s Banteay Meanchey province suffered food poisoning on Saturday after eating contaminated snacks, said the national police yesterday.
The incident occurred at around 9am local time at Banteay Chmar high school in Thmar Puok district, the police told Xinhua.
“They had the same symptoms such as fatigue, dizziness and vomit,” said Governor of Thmar Puok District Deab Chhoeun on Saturday in a press release.
He said the ill-fated students had been sent to a local health centre soon after the incident and most of them had recovered and returned home.
Chhoeun called on the school vendors to improve food hygiene and students not to eat unhygienic food.
Vice principal of the Banteay Chmar High School Ten Vannak said as of Saturday afternoon, only five of the victims remained in the health centre for further treatment.